“Ask Better Questions, Find Better Solutions”
10 Great Culture Questions Leaders Should Be Asking
- What ideas does my team have to improve our business and competitive advantage?
- What need do our customers have, that we are not paying attention to and nobody else is doing well?
- What one move would most strike fear in our biggest competitor? What’s stopping us from doing it?
- What are the top 5 cultural behaviors (starting with leadership) that we need to cultivate, to adapt and change effectively?
Ask one of these 4 questions in each of your monthly or quarterly Executive Team strategy reviews, and allow sufficient time for lively debate about them before moving on to more tactical matters.
- Am I fostering confidence and passion among my people …. or fear, anxiety, and doubt?
- Who on my team is ready for a bigger challenge and how can I mentor them best in helping them succeed?
- Who do I need to thank and appreciate today?
- How is this change (whatever it is) connected directly to achievement of our Vision and Strategy? Be certain to share that with your employees – they WANT to know this.
Ask these questions regularly of yourself, to self-examine your focus on leading.
9. What did I do that I’m proud of this week?
Ask this of yourself every Friday, even if for just 5 minutes.
10. Do people trust my leadership? What is the evidence? How can I increase it?
Self-awareness is the hallmark of a great leader.