Nobel Prize winner physicist Arno Penzias was once asked what accounted for his success, to which he replied “I went for the jugular question.”
“Change starts with the individual. The first thing I do each morning is ask myself ‘Why do I strongly believe what I believe?’ Constantly examine your own assumptions. This is how you keep the creative process alive.”
Most meetings in business today, suffer from Hypnotic Apathy – rote agendas, predictable flow, checked out people.
Jugular Questions stimulate teams to a new level of thinking, and freshen the energy in your weekly dialogue. THIS is the creative process at work. Jugular Questions can be asked in many different ways. The important thing is to ASK.
Here’s a list of Jugular Questions to enliven any meeting, planning session, or off-site retreat.
- “Is that really true?” Sometimes it’s best used solo because this question will feel challenging, especially if directed from a leader to employees.
- “What assumptions are alive in this belief or truth?”
- “Why have we assumed these to be true?”
- “What cannot be challenged or undone? (surfaces hard-core beliefs.)
- “Why are we stuck in this situation / limitation?” (surfaces beliefs to be challenged.)
- “What would Nirvana look, feel, sound like?” (directs attention to the future.)
- “What assumptions can serve us better?”
- “What stops us from doing what is in our best interest?”
- “What would ____________ say?” (shift point of view to a person or group with an important perspective or stake.)
- “How can I reframe this situation to my advantage?”
- “What do we need to let go of, to move forward?”
The real point is: Ask, ask, ask. That’s how you #ChangeTheConversation
What are your favorite Jugular Questions? Please put them into the Comments below.
Looking for a creative, unique, fun method to engage a team around change?
Introducing The Change Game, a NEW board game from Corporate Culture Pros to support people in playing bigger, growing individually, and leading change with confidence.
“Fun AND deep.”
“Engaging and thought-provoking. Loved it!”
“Fantastic! Within a few minutes, the Game shifted me from a big angst to clear action steps.”
Call Lisa at 303-898-3920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to discuss and take advantage of our September Discount.